The Cecilia Makiwane Hospital (CMH) serves Mdantsane and surrounds, including East London and King Williams Town.
The master planning for the CMH upgrade programme was undertaken in collaboration with health care officials and CMH role-players to continue full functionality of the hospital throughout the phased construction.
Through various phases of upgrade, the hospital received both a modernised physical structure and improved healthcare services. All outdated structures were demolished in phases and the site reconfigured to make way for a modern, state-of-the-art hospital with a 350-bed ward facility, a 150-bed step-down facility and a 100-bed psychiatric unit.
The 5-phase construction programme covered
1. Site clearance, bulk earthworks and fencing;
2. Bulk earthworks and related services for the services buildings;
3. Nursing college and nurses’ accommodation;
4. New level 2 hospital and step-down facility;
5. Psychiatric hospital and doctors’ housing.