Improvements to the end safety areas and runway strips on the main runway 08/26 were required to comply with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) recommendations.
The work included:
- Clearing and recompacting the RESA at Runway 08 to ensure correct ground bearing capacity;
- Construction of 150 m of new runway;
- Construction of a new, correctly shaped RESA 240 m long x 150 m wide;
- Construction of a 420 m long extension to Taxiway A1 to suit the new Runway 08 threshold position;
- Relocating and/or providing new runway and taxiway lighting;
- Installation of new precision approach path indicators (PAPIs);
- Rearranging and upgrading the existing approach lights;
- Repositioning the instrument landing system (ILS) localiser and glide path equipment;
- New perimeter security fencing and a new gravel perimeter road.
The inclusion of fillet widenings at corners in the taxiway extension allows for the diversion of larger aircraft to Port Elizabeth International Airport in case of emergencies.