Client Millennium Challenge Account Zambia (MCAZ)
Location Lusaka, Zambia
Scope Of Work Consulting supervising engineer for concurrent construction projects awarded to six contractors drawn from four different countries (China, Belgium, Italy and three from Portugal).
Contract Period 2015–2020 (expected completion)
Funded by the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC), the project involves six construction packages that directly benefit more than 1.2 million people. The packages include
- Upgrading Lusaka’s bulk water supply infrastructure and bulk distribution network;
- Construction of potable water storage infrastructure and water reticulation networks in high and medium density areas of Lusaka (two packages);
- Construction of water-borne sewage infrastructure in high density areas;
- Upgrading and expansion of the sewage treatment works at Kaunda Square;
- Construction of 30 km of large concrete lined trapezoidal canals for storm water management.
Construction of large civil infrastructure across a busy African city is very challenging, exacerbated by the discovery of innumerable unmapped and often illegal/informal electrical, communications, water and sewer services.
To meet this challenge, Mariswe assembled a 70-strong multinational team in Lusaka including engineers, technicians, planners, quantity surveyors, a contract law specialist, health and safety personnel, an environmental specialist and a social and gender specialist.